Siemens MAGNETOM 7T MRI
The CFMM houses a newly upgraded (2019) Siemens MAGNETOM 7T plus MRI allowing for the visualization of anatomical detail and functional information as never before – capable of ultra-high resolution, enhanced fMRI, and proton spectroscopy, while supporting neuroscience studies and clinical research with ultra-deep insights.
The Siemens platform is a robust research instrument that is not only powerful in its visualization capacity, but also open for further research development applications. The CFMM has a long-standing research agreement with Siemens for the development of hardware and software related to the advancement of UHF MRI applications.
The MAGNETOM Siemens ultra-high field 7 Tesla scanner is an optimized human brain MR imaging platform and features a unique state-of-the-art 8 channel transmit (Tx) and 32 channel receive (Rx) RF front end. The Siemens console operates at VB17A software level (Step 2.3 pTx) along with a highly optimized AC84 (GenII) head gradient engine with a maximum gradient strength of 80 mT/m and includes 2nd, 3rd and 4th order shims for phenomenal whole brain and/or vexel shimming. The integrated Tim (Total Imaging Matrix) technology provides unprecedented flexibility, accuracy, and speed, and is capable of reducing scan times by up to 50%. The 7T is primed for unique investigations of the human head or large animal models.
7T Magnet Specifications:
• Central field 7.0 T
• Warm bore diameter: 680 mm
• Field stability ≤ 0.05 ppm/hr
• Supercon shims Z1, Z2, Z3, X, Y, ZX, ZY, X2-Y2, XY, Z2X, Z2Y, Z(X2-Y2), ZXY
• Homogeneity ≤ 5 ppm* over 30 cm DSV
• Fringe field 6.8 x 4.5 (axialxz)
• syngo MR software VB17A
• Advanced neuro, BOLD fMRI, DTI Tractography, SWI
• MRS Apps: SVS, 2D CSI
• Arterial Spin Labelling (ASL)
• BO and B1 shimming task cards
• Head-only AC84 II gradient engine — specially tuned for 7T neuro needs. High performance for shorter TE and higher SNR.
• 80 mT/m max gradient strength; 350 mT/m/s slew rate
• Includes 2nd, 3rd and z4 shims
RF transmit and receive system
- 8-ch Tx/32 -ch Rx Whole Head Array
- 8-ch Tx/32-ch Rx Occipital-Parietal Array
- 8-ch Tx/24 -ch Rx Large Animal Head Array
- 8 Channel Transceive
UHF-optimized patient table technology:Peripheral Devices:
• Variable speed patient table adjusted to the fringe field improves patient/volunteer comfort.
• Avotec SV-6011 Rear Projection Video (1024×768)
• Senssimetrics S15 Insert Earplugs
• AD Instruments PowerLab 16/sp
• Current Designs Fibre Optic Response Pads
• Eyelink 100 eye tracker
Fun Facts: External dimensions (width X length X height) 2700mm X 2200mm X 3240 mm
Weight (including helium) 27,500 kg… Now that’s one BIG magnet!